Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday, January 15

"As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round." - Ben Hogan

Rose 1: My students have been creating grammar mini-lessons for the past weeks in preparation for their state tests. Two students presented this morning, one on using apostrophes, specifically in cases of possession and specifically NOT in cases of plural words. The other student's presentation was on colons. Both students needed a lot of help to prepare their lessons. I was so impressed by not only their presentations but also by the worksheets they developed for students to demonstrate that the lesson taught them something. In general, the mini-lesson assignment was great and the students loved it.

Rose 2: My freshmen students are working on an I-Search paper, which I wrote about earlier. Today, three students turned in their rough drafts. All three students chose great topics (fly fishing, the war in Iraq (specifically when soldiers will be coming back), and languages). I was excited because the final paper is required to be 3-4 pages long, and the students were telling me there was "no way" they could write a paper that long. Each rough draft was two pages long, and I was able to comment and make suggestions on each paper, so I'm now sure the length requirement for the final will be no problem!

Rose 3: Thanks to the great Martin Luther King, Jr., this is a three day weekend, which is a cause for celebration for teachers everywhere!

I hope you stopped to smell the roses today.

No comments:

Post a Comment