Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thursday, January 28

Rose #1: Today, I was able to relieve the stress of one of my students by being flexible. I have one student with autism who sometimes doesn't handle pressure so well. I knew that I had made my English 9 exam rather difficult as far as finishing it in the time allowed. Basically, I just wanted them to be kept busy during the entire exam period, so I figured if the majority didn't finish both of the two essays I assigned, I would just only count one. Well, they all seemed to be working away just fine, but the one student was clearly upset. I offered him the opportunity to type his essay on the computer, which seemed to calm him down, but he was still just staring at the screen. Finally, I went over and told him he could write one of the essays and I would double his score. He ended up writing only one essay but it was as long as the other two essays were supposed to be put together! It was one of those situations where it worked out well for both of us, and I was able to possibly make a connection with him.

Rose #2: I had a very productive afternoon. Usually, I hate being at school when my students aren't there, so I am not usually a big fan of exam days, when students only have to be there for half a day and we teachers have to toil away alone for the rest of the afternoon. Today, I turned on Yahoo Radio on my computer and spent the afternoon singing and cleaning and throwing away!

I hope you stopped to smell the roses today.

No comments:

Post a Comment