Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday, January 29

Rose #3 (from yesterday!): Oops, forgot about this one. I usually am not very good at writing exams, as far as making the exam long enough to take the students the full 99 minutes. Mostly, my exams take my students less than half that time, which might be because they don't care, or it might be because they know the "stuff." I don't get to see that until I grade their exams. My exam for my English 9 class, however, took the students the ENTIRE class period to finish. They were actually working hard & hustling to get it all done in time.

Rose #1: I have a blusher! While most of my male students find it completely hilarious when they make a fart noise or actually fart during class, one boy turns TOTALLY red. I absolutely love it, because it lets me know that he does have some idea of what is socially appropriate, and he knows farting in the middle of a quiet room really isn't!

Rose #2: I got some planning done today for my first classes when I get back on Tuesday. I am usually not excited about teaching poetry, but I've decided to take a different, more fun approach this year. My students are going to start off with narrative poetry, so we're going to read poems like "Casey at the Bat" and "The Charge of the Light Brigade." I love bringing children's books into my classroom, so I think this will give me another opportunity to do so. I want my students to see the fun, light-hearted side of poetry, as well as the deeper, more serious side.

Well, I'm off to Cleveland for the weekend, which is practically my rose for the entire month of January and maybe even for 2010! I haven't seen Carly, one of my very best friends, in almost a year, so this weekend will provide us with some much needed catching up time.

I hope you stopped to smell the roses today.

1 comment:

  1. I had some roses for you to read last week, but I haven't posted yet. :) Also...my ROSE for today is that we had an optional (which for me, means required) workday today without students. I got TONS of cleaning done at school!!!

    ReplyDelete