Monday, January 25, 2010

Monday, January 25

Rose #1: I taught my students a tool to remember the three purposes of writing non-fiction (to persuade, to inform, to entertain) = PIE. Today, we were reviewing for their semester exam. When we made it to the non-fiction part of the review, I covered PIE and then moved on to the four different types of non-fiction writing we covered (persuasive, narrative, descriptive, and expository). After that, one of my students said, "Ms. Oxley, what about PIE?" And, while I was moderately irritated that he wasn't paying attention when I covered that not five minutes before that moment, I was more excited that he REMEMBERED THE TOOL and that he's likely to do well on that part of the exam!

Rose #2: This rose didn't take place at school, but has more to do with how the sunshine & warm weather provided me with the opportunity to go for a quick run after school to blow off steam. For me, one of my roses every day is that I'm healthy enough to run and walk and exercise.

Rose #3: My third rose didn't take place at school either, but it's related to one of the great roses among my fellow staff members at school. My favorite other teacher & one of my very best friends recently had to say goodbye to her husband as he left to serve in Haiti. They don't know when he'll be able to return, and they are not in contact very frequently. Tonight, she and I went to see "It's Complicated." I always feel like quite a rebel when I go see a movie on a "school night." This rose is for the fact that I was able to take some of the pressure off of her after a long day at school and give her mind a break from missing her hubby!

Rose #4: This rose is for my first comment on my blog! Thanks to Megan for reaffirming my purpose in writing this blog.

I hope you stopped to smell the roses today.

No comments:

Post a Comment