Friday, February 5, 2010

Thursday, February 4

Sorry I'm a day late! This was a crazy week with three days off for the kids!

Rose #1: My seniors had a great discussion in the morning about 18th century England and the Whigs and Tories. They were comparing them to more contemporary political factions. I couldn't get them to stop talking, but the best part about it was that the discussion was on topic.

Rose #2: I found so many neat resources to use as pre-reading activities for The Lord of the Flies. This year will be my first time teaching it all the way through since I came in part way through last year. I found an article from Paul Fussel's book, Thank God for the Atom Bomb, called "Postscript on Japanese Skulls." I also found an online survival skills test at www.pressanykey.com/cgi-bin/survival.cgi. So far, my students have responded more positively to these assignments than they usually do, and I think doing these activities will significantly enrich our reading of the novel.

I hope you stopped to smell the roses today.

No comments:

Post a Comment