Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday, February 12

Rose #1: I have one student that I have struggled with over the past two years. He has a generally bad attitude. Last year, he did not do well at all in my English 11 class. This year, I have him in English 10 and English 12. He's a senior, but he failed English 10 when he was a sophomore. This student has had a rough time in school. He isn't easy to get along with, and I think many teachers have dealt with him unfairly, myself included. He carried a B all the way through the first semester in both English classes and I was really impressed by the strides he seemed to be making academically. My relationship with him as been improving VERY gradually as well. I joke that I can even have a discussion with him now without him giving me a look of disgust. Today, I gave him my "most improved student" award in class since he wasn't at our meeting last night to receive it. He was happy to receive the award. He didn't make a big deal about it, but I could tell, and his behavior was excellent all day. I was so excited because it showed me that he just needs some positive attention and that I can "change my spots" too.

I hope you stopped to smell the roses today.

No comments:

Post a Comment