Monday, February 8, 2010

Monday, February 8

Rose #1: I had two good conversations with senior students about the movie Avatar. My students frequently complain that they never get to just talk. So today, our weekly journal article focused on smoking in the movie Avatar, which gave me the chance to let students know I saw the movie this weekend. We then talked and debated a little, and I think it really started their day off right.

Rose #2: Again, my timing is getting so, so good. I'm using up every second of instructional time, and I can feel discipline problems lessening as a result.

Rose #3: This year, I started "Ms. Oxley's Boulevard of Stars" and each quarter, a choose a star from each grade. They fill out a form telling me what it means to them to be a star student, and I post their answers. The best thing about it is that my students really change their behavior when they're named a star. My 10th grade star for this past quarter has become my most respectful and mannerly student. He even tries to encourage other students to behave better. I'm so proud of him, and I'm excited to see what it does for his grades, too!

I hope you stopped to smell the roses today.

No comments:

Post a Comment