Friday, February 5, 2010

Friday, February 5

Rose #1: This one is less student-related, but it's something I'm very proud of. The timing of my lessons is getting so good! I've always struggled with having enough work to keep students busy. I always think activities are going to take us so much longer than they actually do. We were only school two days this week, but I wasn't reaching for things to do to fill up the time in ANY of my classes.

Rose #2: One of my students who failed my class last year took it in summer school so he wouldn't have to double up in English this year. This kid has changed COMPLETELY since last year. He and I struggled so much last year just to get along, let alone for him to actually do his work or study. This year, he consistently has an A in my class. He hands in his work on time, and his in-class behavior is fantastic. (Here's where I throw in my advice for parents to hold their sons back a year before starting school. This student was clearly not mature enough for 9th grade last year. Had he started school a year later, he probably wouldn't have so many classes to make up at this point.) Anyways, this student comes to my classroom all the time! He stopped by today to complain about having to go to history every day, since he has to make up that class as he failed it last year, and he told me that he'd rather have English every day than history! While I think the history teacher is fantastic, I will NEVER get tired of hearing students tell me they like my class better than other classes.

I hope you stopped to smell the roses today.

No comments:

Post a Comment