Thursday, February 18, 2010

Wednesday, February 17

Rose #1: I have to preface this rose a bit. I have always wanted to be a teacher. As I was approaching the end of college, I started to think maybe it wasn't right for me. At the same time, I became involved with the Bay City Central Writing Center project which gave me the opportunity to work one-on-one with high school students to revise and improve their writing. These experiences showed me that I really did want to be an English teacher. Even though I teach at a school with small class sizes, I still don't get to work with students one-on-one often enough. If I stop to work with one student, the others go crazy and I lose control. I've been working with a few students after school to prepare for their upcoming state writing test. One student in particular brought in a practice essay for me yesterday. We worked together to improve the essay so that he could see how to outline and prepare for writing his test essay and then how he could work to revise the essay before submitting his final for the test. It was really exciting to see the paper improve! It also restored my faith that teaching is for me and that I do love it.

I hope you stopped to smell the roses today.

No comments:

Post a Comment